Sunday, November 21, 2010

Arrogance

Here's an annoying tweet from someone who shall remain nameless: "I'm more scared of the Plummers (sic) buying and selling gold"

First, what's a plumMer? Someone who eats plums? I am only familiar with plumBers who have come to my house and have fixed things (when their liquid version, "Liquid Plumr," fails). If the plumbers (with their plumbers' cracks and all) are buying and selling gold, I say, 'good for them'.

Just because a guy or gal gets their hands dirty on the job doesn't mean they are any less sophisticated as an investor compared to some banker, VC type or day trader. I know of some wealthy plumbers who have built thriving businesses that provide real world and essential services and create jobs with livable wages. Plumbers are no less entrepreneurial than the people that VCs chase after.

I don't mean for this to be a lengthy tome to the plumbers of the world, but to merely point out the ridiculous preconceived notions that people have about who is buying or selling an asset and whether it's a sign of frothiness in the market (or to be scared). In fact, I'd seriously consider the investing style of a successful small business owner over the cretins who are either working for Wall Street or who worship that cadre of the Armani wearing walking dead.

No comments: