Saturday, August 18, 2007

You Can't Handle the Truth!

This has been floating around on the web....

--
Where is Tom Cruise when you need him???

I'd like to draw some parallels to a clssic movie:

A Few Good Men

“If your orders were that Private Santiago was not to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why did you need to transfer him off the base?

Why the 2 orders?”

…and then cinematic magic took over as Kaffee (Cruise) and Jessep (Nickolson) go at it.


Well this is how I see the same scenario with yesterday’s rate cut!

The part of “Kaffee” will be played by Joe6pack
The part of “Col Jessep” will be played by The Big Businesses that are forcing the Fed’s hand.

Kaffee: If your press releases and financial statements said that you company is growing and subprime was contained, and your information is accurate, then why did you need a rate cut? Why the 2 orders?

Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled.
Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth.
Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a country that has big businesses, and those big businesses have to be guarded by men like Bernake. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Home Owner? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for middle class, and you curse our 2006 bonuses. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That the middle class’s death, while tragic, probably saves our corporate spreadsheets. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves our wealthy buddies in the hedge funds. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on wall st, you need me on wall st. We use words like Leverage, Liquidity, BLS. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent profiting off of something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very financial markets that I make, and then questions the manner in which I get bailed out for my mistakes. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a phone, and buy some stocks. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Kaffee: Did you order the rate cut?
Col. Jessep: I did the job I...
Kaffee: [shouting] Did you order the rate cut?
Col. Jessep: [shouts] You're goddamn right I did!


No comments: